Transient Merchant License
Status Update – 03/22/2022
We have moved to our permanent location in the Government Center East building. Customer Service is located on the first floor and for those of you that have previously visited us before, we are moving back to the same spot we were once at. Entrance doors are located on Atwood Street and 4th Avenue.
We will continue with our hybrid customer service model, which includes appointments, walk-in service and drop box availability.
All driver’s license and identification card transactions are required to prebook an appointment for service before coming to the government center. Driver's licenses, ID cards and instruction permits can be renewed, replaced, updated, upgraded and first-time applications submitted at our location.
Walk-in service is available for other transactions such as tabs, title transfers, disability certificates, duplicate titles, marriage license applications, birth/death/marriage certificates and additional deputy registrar services. Please note walk-in service is on a first come first served basis and service is not guaranteed. When we have reached our capacity, you will be asked to wait outside the Service Center lobby until space is available.
The drop box is in the circular drive on Atwood St between 4th and 5th Avenues. Please ensure all of your transactions has a phone number on them. Your request will be processed in the order it was received and returned via mail.
Thank you for your patience during our transition and we look forward to seeing you again.
The term “transient merchant” does not include a seller or exhibitor in a firearms collector show involving two or more sellers or exhibitors.
Transient Merchant License Application (PDF) and fill it out.
Apply in person using our standby list.
Remember to Bring
- Transient Merchant Application.
- Proof of workers' compensation insurance coverage or affidavit of sole proprietorship.
- Bond in the amount of $1,000 up to $3,000 made out of Scott County.
- Copy of a valid seller's permit issued under M.S. 297A.04 or a written statement that no merchandise will be sold that is taxable under M.S. 297A.
- List of merchandise to be sold that includes serial number (if any); owner’s actual cost; designation by number corresponding with a number to be affixed to each item by a tag or Affidavit-If sale is related to insurance, bankrupt, insolvent, assignee, trustee, testator, executor, administrator, receiver, syndicate, wholesaler or manufacturer, or closing out sale, or as a sale of any goods, wares, and merchandise, damaged by smoke, fire, water, or otherwise, or in any similar form. Forms should have the following:
- Showing all the facts relating to the reasons and character of sale to be advertised or represented.
- Showing that such sale is in fact as is to be advertised and represented.
- Statement of the names of the persons from whom the goods, wares, merchandise to be advertised or represented were obtained.
- Date of delivery to the person applying for the license.
- Place from which the goods, wares, and merchandise were last taken, and all details necessary to exactly locate and fully itemize all goods, wares, and merchandise to be sold.
- Affidavit sworn to before a person authorized to administer oaths by such person applying for license; or if a partnership, by a member of such partnership; or if a corporation, by one of the officers of such corporation.
- County fee: $150.
You can pay with cash, check (payable to Scott County) or credit card. If you pay with a credit card you will be paying a 2.45% convenience fee.