Evidence of Parental Relationship

You must submit evidence that lists you as the parent of the minor applying for a passport. Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, provide both evidence of citizenship and evidence of parental relationship. If you’re submitting one or more of the documents below as evidence of U.S. citizenship too, you must submit a certified copy. Examples of documents that may be used as evidence of parental relationship are:
  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a United States Citizen (FS-240)