Welcome to the Twin Cities Metro eLibrary on Libby!
Scott County Library has united with other area libraries on OverDrive's Libby app to bring you the Twin Cities Metro eLibrary, one of the largest eBook collections in North America!
The eLibrary combines eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines from 8 area library systems so readers across the region can access more items than ever, with shorter wait times. Scott County readers can access the entire collection on Libby with their SCL library card and PIN, no new account required.
How to Use Libby
Read to get started? Download Libby by OverDrive from your app store and search for "Scott County Library" (listed under MELSA: Twin Cities Metro eLibrary). Sign in with your Scott County Library card and PIN.
Tip: Having a tough time finding us in the app? Try entering your zip code as a shortcut!
Unsure if your device is compatible? Check below or review Libby's Device Compatibility FAQs.
- Android Phones & Tablets: Get Libby on Google Play
- Apple iPhones & iPads: Get Libby for iOS in the App Store
- In a web browser: Visit libbyapp.com or melsa.overdrive.com to read in a browser
- Kindle Paperwhites: You can send Libby items to your Kindle, or the Kindle app, by signing into your Amazon account on the same device. Read Libby's Kindle FAQs for more information.
- Kindle Fires & Other Devices: If your device is incompatible with Libby, use the OverDrive app instead. You will see the same collection, but from a different app. You can also open libbyapp.com in your Fire browser to get the same Libby experience as the Libby app.
- Note: The OverDrive app was retired from most app stores in February 2022. This is so OverDrive, Libby's parent company, may focus on making Libby compatible for all devices. If you currently have the OverDrive app downloaded, you may continue to use it, but we recommend migrating to Libby when possible.
Borrowing eBooks & eAudiobooks
- Borrowing Limits: You may borrow up to 15 digital items at a time. Each item may be checked out for 21 days.
- Hold Limits: You may put up to 15 digital items on hold.
- Renewals: Items with holds cannot be renewed. Instead, you may place a hold to borrow the item again.
- Easy Returns: eBooks and eAudiobooks will return automatically after 21 days. You can also return an item early so someone else can borrow it.
- No Waiting: There are no waiting lists for eMagazines. Our collection has unlimited copies to borrow, so you can immediately access the latest issue.
- Easy Returns: eMagazines will return automatically after 21 days just like other items.
- More Access: eMagazine checkouts don't count towards your 15-item loan limit in Libby. You may borrow as many as you like!
Other eBook Options
- eBooks Minnesota: An eBook collection for all Minnesotans. All of the titles are simultaneous access, meaning many readers can read them at the same time. It is hosted on a platform called MackinVIA, which can be accessed in a browser.
- Reference Books Online: Looking for online encyclopedias and other high-quality learning materials? Reference Books Online has general and subject specific reference works for all ages that can be downloaded or used online. You will need your Library Card and PIN number to sign in.
- Project Gutenberg: A volunteer-run site that digitizes, archives, and distributes literary works. Most of the items are historical. All of the texts are free and can be read in a browser on different devices.