Drivers Licenses & IDs
My driver’s license is expiring, is there an extension to renew?
Gov. Walz signed two bills into law that extend the expiration dates of driver’s licenses, ID cards and permits that expire during and the month after the COVID-19 peacetime emergency ends to two months after the peacetime emergency ends.
What that means:
- DPS-DVS will automatically extend the expiration to Jan. 31, 2021 for any driver’s license, ID card or permit that would have expired between March 13 and Dec. 31, 2020. If the COVID-19 peacetime emergency is extended past Nov. 12, 2020 the extension will also be extended.
- Minnesotans will not receive a new credential, but their record will reflect the new expiration date.
- Any valid driver’s license, instruction permit (including commercial learner’s permits), provisional license, operator’s permit, limited license and farm work license. This includes valid out of state driver’s licenses, ID cards and permits.
Commercial Drivers must follow the current federal law - for the most current information visit https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/COVID-19
Can I renew my standard driver’s license or ID card online?
Yes. Gov. Walz signed a bill into law that waives the photo and vision screening requirement for Minnesotans renewing or replacing their standard driver’s license or identification card. Minnesotans can renew or replace their standard driver’s license or ID card online provided there is no name, address, signature or license number change and your driver’s license is currently valid or expired for less than one year. Citizens will not be required to complete a vision screening or have a new photo taken until the next time they renew or upgrade their license.
To renew online, visit https://onlineservices.dps.mn.gov/EServices/_/ and select Apply for a Driver’s License or State ID and follow the prompts.
Appointments for Minnesota Driver’s Licenses and ID cards
Our Customer Service department offers appointments for Minnesota driver’s license and identification card renewals, replacements due to an address change or if your card was lost or stolen. You can also upgrade to a Real ID or Enhanced DL/ID. Note: upgrades to Real ID or Enhanced cards do require additional documentation.
What type of license are you looking for? Unsure about your options? Click here to find out more: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/real-id/Pages/license-id-options.aspx
Have you pre-applied for your license? Please do so here before making an appointment: https://driverservices.dps.mn.gov/EServices/_/
How can I make sure my appointment is successful?
- You will receive multiple email reminders before your appointment. These contain details about when to arrive, where to wait and safety guidelines for accessing the building. Please review carefully and contact us at 952-496-8432 if you have any questions.
- The most common issue we see is that people bring the wrong Social Security “card”. This is an example of an acceptable Social Security card. Notice the blue pillars on the card. These contain security features that make this card official.
Please be aware that this social security stub is NOT an acceptable form for proof of social security. This piece (stub) was attached to your official card when it was first received. Contains no security features.
Are you ready to make an appointment? Select the appointment box below. For the best possible experience, you will want to use Chrome or Safari – Internet Explorer may not function properly. *We are currently offering appointments for the next 60 days. If there are no available times we are booked out, please check back.
New or returning resident to Minnesota
If you are a new or returning resident to Minnesota and have a valid license from another state, please be advised in order to obtain a Minnesota driver’s license you will need pass the knowledge (written) exam before you can apply for your license. We are not an exam office and do not offer any testing at this location. Click on the link for more information https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/news/Pages/online-knowledge-testing.aspx
Are you ready to make an appointment? Select the appointment box below. (Please use Chrome or Safari for best possible experience - Internet Explorer may not function properly.) *If there are no available times we are booked out. Please check back frequently - when cancellations occur, they will instantly appear on the calendar.
A standard driver’s license or ID is acceptable for domestic air travel until October 1, 2021.
ARE YOU A VETERAN?
Please let us know!
We’ll need to view your DD 214 at the time of the application.
Minnesota offers veterans the opportunity to display their veteran status on their driver license or state ID card. This can help you obtain discounts and other benefits from local businesses and organizations without having to carry discharge papers with you as proof of service. When you apply for, renew, or update your license you will need to present your DD 214 in order to qualify for the indicator.
THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY!
How to renew your drivers license or state ID.
How to apply for a duplicate drivers license or state ID if you have lost it, have a name change, or have an address change.
How to renew or apply for an instruction permit.
How to apply for a provisional license.
How to apply for an enhanced drivers license or state ID.