What We Accept
Accepted Hazardous Products & Waste
Many products in your home or garage can be hazardous to your family and the environment. In fact, Household Hazardous Waste can be any item from your home that is flammable, corrosive, toxic, poisonous, or reactive. Below is a list of items currently accepted at the Scott County HHW facility.
- Paint Products: Latex/oil-based paint, stain, varnish, polyurethane, paint stripper, etc.
- Wood Preservatives or Bleaches
- Household Items: Oven cleaner, household cleaners, furniture polish, moth balls, vegetable (cooking) oil, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Yard Chemicals: Non-agricultural pesticides, poisons, bug and weed killers, pool chemicals
- Automotive Chemicals: Gas, oil, antifreeze (these must be in a container that is 2-1/2 gallons or smaller in size), brake fluid, power steering fluid, car wax, etc.
- Adhesives and Putty
- Aerosol Spray Products: Spray paint, oven cleaner, pesticides, lubricant sprays, contact cleaner
- Fluorescent Bulbs: Compact Fluorescents, Fluorescent tubes, HID, Fluorescent bulb ballasts (Please remove ballasts from fixtures- a small handling fee could be assessed if ballasts are not removed)
- Fuels and Solvents: Gasoline, kerosene, mineral spirits, propane, fingernail polish remover, charcoal lighter fluid, Tiki torch fluid, etc.
- Grills: Accepted as scrap metal for no fee.
- Mercury: Including fluorescent tubes/bulbs of all sizes, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), thermometers, thermostats, etc.
- Bicycles: We are now able to accept small numbers of bicycles at no charge.
- Appliances: Standard household appliances (both small and large) such as washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, dehumidifiers, microwaves, window air conditioners, water softeners, etc. are currently being accepted at no charge, while some special items (Ammonia, etc.) may be accepted for a fee.
- Electronics: TV, stereo, and computer components (etc.) are now accepted at no charge (from local residents), and for a small fee (from businesses). Holiday lights are also accepted at no charge throughout the year.
- Tires: Tires from cars and light trucks, semi trucks, and farm tractors are accepted. Limit of 20, Check our price list for details. *For larger quantities of tires, please call ahead 952-496-8787
- Scrap metal: Accepted for recycling (clean metal is accepted at no charge, while metal items that contain plastic, rubber, or wood components may be taken for a small fee).
- Small Engines: Accepted for scrap metal recycling if they have been drained of fuel and oil. (Ex: lawn mowers, weed whips, chainsaws, snow blowers, etc.) *We charge a handling fee if mower does not have fuel or oil drained.